Office of Public Health LiechtensteinThe Office of Public Health Liechtenstein acts in all three Work Packages, which are dealing with the two implementation phases of the intervention manual. Among the three tasks, the Office of Public Health Liechtenstein will be the pioneer within LIFE CYCLE to implement a âcycling to shopsâ campaign.
Cycling for everyday journeys, Liechtenstein
BACKGROUND & OBJECTIVESToday only a small percentage of everyday journeys in Liechtenstein is done by walking and cycling. However, these two modes are important means of transport in a sustainable mobility mix, often in combination with public transport.
IMPLEMENTATIONTo reach as many people as possible, the VCL is involved in a wide range of activities to promote active mobility. In addition to the LIFE CYCLE projects, we organize the following annual activities: Cycling for your health and Cycling to work, which are well promoted via the local media. Crucial for the success of all âSafe in the saddleâ courses are enough trained, experienced and motivated cycling instructors. They only receive a small compensation for the mostly voluntary work.
- Safe in the saddle for children with their parents: Involving the police traffic instructors, the town police and the parent teacher organization is an important success factor. The food and drinks sponsored by the town make it a social event. The financial support comes from the commission for road safety.
- Safe in the saddle for secondary schools: Through the support of school head masters, the course became part of the curriculum. The class and/or sports teachers actively participate in the theoretical and practical parts of the course.
- Cycling to school is an additional LIFE CYCLE project starting in spring 2011 in close cooperation with the Liechtenstein school administration.
- Safe in the saddle for senior citizens: It is quite difficult to motivate seniors for everyday cycling, but for cycling as sport activity is a different story. It is a challenge to communicate the personal benefits of changing the means of transport for everyday journeys. It would help a lot if general practitioners communicated better the positive health effects of an active life. We also cooperate with the Senior Citizens Organization LSB.
- Cycling and walking to the local shop: shop owners have to understand the advantages to them (less parking space needed, closer link to locals) in order to support projects to change the transportation behaviour from driving to walking and cycling. Three enterprises with shops in five of the eleven Liechtenstein towns participated in 2009 and 2010. The year 2011 is a special challenge with the transition to annual walking and cycling activities of the shops after LIFE CYCLE.
The Liechtenstein Office for public health is the LIFE CYCLE partner, the VCL Association for Transport and Environment is the subcontractor.
Author & Contact person:
Tel: + 423 232 5453
Postfach 813, 9490 Vaduz, Liechtenstein
Tel: +423 236 7360